We are so glad you want to join our Deaf/ASL events! Interacting with others in ASL is the best way to practice the ASL you are learning and our online events are the most flexible way to do that - from the comfort of your own home!
Below you will find information about how to get ready to participate in one of our events:
Setting up Zoom on your device:
- Go to https://zoom.us/
- Click on the blue SIGN UP, IT'S FREE button at the upper right of your screen.
- Enter your email address (don't worry that it says "Your work email address" - you can use whatever address you prefer).
- A box will pop up asking you to confirm your email. Click the orange Confirm button.
- Zoom will send you an account activation email. Find it in your inbox and click the blue Activate Account button.
- You'll be taken to a Welcome to Zoom page. Fill in your First Name, Last Name, and Password where indicated, then click the orange Continue button.
- You are now signed in. Make a note of the email address and password you used to sign in to your Zoom account for future reference.
- Ignore the Don't Zoom Alone section. At the upper right of the screen, hover your cursor over RESOURCES (above the blue sign-up button) so that the drop-down menu appears.
- Click on Download Zoom Client.
- Under Zoom Client for Meetings, click the blue Download button.
For Mac users:
- Once the Zoom.pkg file has downloaded, double-click the file in your Downloads folder and follow the directions to install Zoom.
- Upon installation, Zoom Client will automatically be added to your Applications folder.
- When installation is complete, the Zoom Client window will open showing your Personal Meeting ID phone number. You may close the window at this time, because you won't need to use Zoom until just before class begins.
For PC users:
- Once the ZoomInstaller.exe file has downloaded, click to open the file at the bottom of your browser (or in your Downloads folder).
- The PC's User Account Control window will open. Click Yes to allow the program to make changes to your computer.
- Upon installation, a Zoom shortcut icon will automatically appear on your computer desktop.
- When installation is complete, the Zoom Client window will appear. You may close the window at this time, because you won't need to use Zoom until just before class begins.
For tablet and smartphone users:
- Download the ZOOM Cloud Meetings app from either the Apple App Store (iOS users) or the Google Play Store (Android users).
If you plan to participate live, simply double-click the Zoom icon in your Applications folder (for Mac users) or the Zoom shortcut on your desktop (for PC users) to open the Zoom Client window (tablet and smartphone users simply need to open the Zoom app), then click the link in the post to be joined into the meeting. That's it! If you don't want others to be able to hear you, you can click the microphone icon to mute yourself.
Although there are several steps above to download and install the Zoom software, they are all simple and straightforward, so... PLEASE read all of the instructions thoroughly FIRST. Then, if you encounter an issue setting up Zoom AND you've searched deep within your soul to see if there's any way to find the answer yourself, please create a ticket if you have questions and we'll do our best to answer them as soon as possible. Zoom may have made some changes to their installation process since these instructions were first written, but the procedure is fairly intuitive, and you should be able to follow their prompts.
What to Expect:
You may be nervous joining your first online signing event, but don't worry - you are not alone! Everyone else is learning along with you and the most important thing to remember is to relax and have fun. :)
Here are some of the basic controls in your event:
In your event, the host will provide an introduction and you may be broken up into smaller groups, depending on the type of event. You should have your video on and make sure you are well lit, so everyone can see you clearly, as you will be participating in sign language. There is a Chat feature, so you can communicate in writing as well.
And here are some controls in your breakout room when you are broken into groups:
When you are broken into groups, there is a "Request Help" button where you can request the host to come to your breakout room to provide help if needed.
We hope you truly enjoy this amazing feature for practicing what you are learning!